As much as I am enjoying this warm, unseasonal weather we are having, I can’t help but feel a little depressed that winter has evaded us this year. While warm weather in the city has equated to patio afternoons, in the mountains it means low snowpacks and no powder days. Some hills have been forced to close early (Castle Mountain forever in our hearts) and the backcountry conditions have been either too warm and too dangerous or all skied out. Skiers have been left to resort to zooming the groom amidst freeze thaw conditions.
Yes, it is a bleak outlook, but I’m here to change that! Spring skiing is here and it’s time to embrace it! Throw away that snow snob attitude and get back to the basics of why you love skiing!
- Do you enjoy getting outside, spending the day in the mountains?
- Do you enjoy going fast and breaking personal speed records? (I recommend the app SkiTracks)
- Do you enjoy acquiring a goggle tan to show off to all your peers/coworkers? (Remember your sunscreen! Elevation plays a nasty number on sun safety as explained here)
- Do you enjoy soft swooshy turns? Spraying all your friends upon hockey stop (*cough cough Elliot)
- Do you enjoy a cold beverage on a hill side patio?
- Do you enjoy ripping around with all your friends?
If you answered yes to at least one of the above, then spring skiing is for you! So lets all stop our whining, accept the situation, and let the real lovers of skiing take over the hill. Also, keep an eye out for special spring skiing event series starting to happen at local resorts starting in April. See ya zooming the groom! (*Tip, you’ll enjoy iced up groomers more if your skis are tuned, here’s how!)